Mystery of the Roman Ransom
by Henry Winterfeld Author
(From Amazon): [intro] In these two delightful history-mysteries, seven boys in Ancient Rome solve strange crimes . . . thanks to some help from their cranky teacher, a little bit of logic, and a lot of amusing misadventure.It seems the boys can get nothing right: Their teacher's fiftieth birthday is long past (they should have done their math homework); the servant they bought as a present for his birthday isn't just your run-of-the-mill Gaul slave but a courier running for his life; and, to top it all off, the message he's carrying requests the assassination of a Roman senator--the father of one of the boys.
- Resource Type
- Print Status
- In Print
- HMH Books for Young Readers
- 1 Xantippus Can't Use a Lion Either
- 2 Why Did the Slave Dealer Run Away?
- 3 The Fearsome Ex-Gladiator
- 4 A Surprising Use for Honey
- 5 No Respectable Citizen Visits the Cemetery at Night
- 6 A Fateful Letter
- 7 They All Are in Danger
- 8 He Must Smell of Mimosa
- 9 About Clanging Swords and Grindstones
- 10 "Hail, Emperor! We, About to Die, Salute You!"
- 11 Now We're Back Where We Started
- 12 Caius Sees the Light
- 13 Will the City Prefect Call Out His Whole Police Force?
- 14 The Boys Have No Time to Dive into the Water
- 15 The Sieve of the Danaides
- 16 Not a Sound Passed Their Lips
- 17 Only a Miracle Can Save Caius
- 18 Memento Mori Is the Password
- 19 Everybody Cringes at the Sight of Antonius
- 20 Riddle upon Riddle
- 21 The Last Straw
- 22 Thoroughness Sometimes Can Be Pushed Too Far
- 23 A Distressing Turn of Events
- 24 How Much Does a Bear Weigh?
- 25 Cause Sees Another Light