Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (History Lives series)
by Mindy Withrow Author, Brandon Withrow Author
(From Amazon): Let history come to life - just the way it should be. Read the stories of Paul, Polycarp, Justin, Origen, Cyprian, Constantine, Athanasius, Ambrose, Augustine, John Chrysostom, Jerome, Patrick and Benedict. People from the early and ancient church and discover the roots of Christianity. From the apostle Paul to Benedict you can discover how those in the early church still influence church today. In their lives you will see the young and developing church struggling and growing in a hostile and difficult world. Watch in amazement as a varied selection of people from different countries, cultures and times merge together to form the Christian church. Learn from their mistakes and errors but more importantly learn from their amazing strengths and gifts. Marvel at the incredible things accomplished by God in such a short space of time. Written in a modern and relaxed style this is a book that will introduce you to history without the tears and with all the wonder. There are longer chapters interspersed with short factual chapters. Extra features throughout this book look deeper into issues such as persecution; worship; creeds and councils and the formation of the Bible as well as a timeline.
- Resource Type
- Print Status
- In Print
- Suggested Grades
- 1st - 6th
- Historical Setting
- 4 BC - 590 AD
- 1 What was the Ancient Church?
- 2 Paul: A Servant of the True God
- 3 Terrible Trials and Persecutions
- 4 Polycarp: Ground like wheat in the lion's teeth
- 5 Justin: A flame was kindled in my soul
- 6 Worship in the Ancient Church
- 7 Origen: God planted in us the unspeakable longing to know
- 8 Cyprian: This body is my sacrifice
- 9 Constantine: With this you will conquer
- 10 Early Creeds and Councils
- 11 Athanasius: Do martyrs die for a mere man?
- 12 The Great Cappadocians: Perhaps you have never met a bishop
- 13 Ambrose: A bishop cannot give up the temple of the Lord
- 14 Augustine: Our hearts are restless until they rest in you
- 15 John Chrysostom: Vanity of vanities
- 16 How did we get the Bible?
- 17 Jerome: Love the holy Scriptures, and wisdom will love you
- 18 Patrick: Come walk among us
- 19 Benedict: Renounce yourself and follow Christ
- 20 Other Early Christians