The Children's Book of America
by William Bennet Author
(From Amazon): Where did America come from? What does it mean to be an American? What makes America great? No volume will provide more compelling and inspiring answers to our children's questions than William Bennett and Michael Hague's marvelous new treasury, The Children's Book of America. Filled with history and folktales, songs and poems, heroes and everyday Americans, this indispensable book is a classic collection of great Americana, accompanied by wonderful paintings that bring to life in rich detail the story of our nation's heritage. Like its bestselling predecessors, The Children's Book of Virtues and The Children's Book of Heroes, this beautifully illustrated collaboration will provide children with a marvelous introduction to such virtues as compassion, perseverance, ingenuity, and hard work. As William Bennett and Michael Hague show, these traits have shaped American history and lie at the heart of our national character. Martin Luther King has a dream -- and racial justice in America will never be the same. Walt Whitman listens -- and weaves poetry from the lilting music of Americans at their labors. A great Indian chief mourns -- and the path to his wife's side opens up the Grand Canyon. From tales of national heroes like Abigail Adams and Robert E. Lee, to stories of adventure and ingenuity such as Lewis and Clark's explorations and Thomas Edison's inventions, to songs and poems about American life like "Home on the Range" and "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," The Children's Book of America is a marvelous celebration of our nation's history and spirit for the youngest Americans.
- Resource Type
- Print Status
- In Print
- Suggested Grades
- Early Years - 3rd
- Simon & Schuster
- illustrated edition
- 1 "America the Beautiful," Katharine Lee Bates
- 2 The Legend of the Grand Canyon
- 3 The Pilgrims and the First Thanksgiving
- 4 Father Junipero Serra
- 5 The Bravery of Abigail Adams
- 6 "Yankee Doodle"
- 7 Westward with Lewis and Clark
- 8 Paul Bunyan
- 9 The Story of "The Star Spangled Banner"
- 10 Johnny Appleseed
- 11 Abe Lincoln's School Days
- 12 "The Erie Canal"
- 13 Remember the Alamo!
- 14 "I Hear America Singing, " Walt Whitman
- 15 The Tale of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"
- 16 Robert E. Lee and the Wounded Soldier
- 17 Margaret of New Orleans
- 18 "Home on the Range"
- 19 John Henry and the Steam Drill
- 20 "The New Colossus," Emma Lazarus
- 21 The Wizard of Menlo Park
- 22 Martin Luther King's Dream
- 23 The Eagle Has Landed
- 24 "America," Samuel Francis Smith